This recipe was inspired by a restaurant that the hubs and I visit from time to time. They put a dash of tarragon on top of your bowl of sweet potato fries, and the flavor combination is fabulous! This dish is a terrific alternative to candied yams if you’re looking for something a bit lighter, and can be served with just about any main dish!
- 3 or 4 Good-Sized Sweet Potatoes or Yams – Peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tbsp Splenda Sugar Blend (or your sweetener of choice – make sure to read portion equivalents on the packaging. 2 Tbsp of Splenda Sugar Blend = 1/4 Cup Sugar)
- 2 tsp Tarragon
- Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400º. (I use my “Convection Bake” setting for this, but you can use the regular “Bake” setting if you have a conventional oven.)
2. In large mixing bowl, combine oil, sweetener, and tarragon. Stir together so you have a thick paste.
3. Put sweet potato slices in the bowl with the oil mixture and toss to coat.
4. Pour seasoned sweet potato mixture into a 9 x 9 baking dish (sprayed with nonstick cooking spray if your dish is not already nonstick – mine is), evening out the slices as best you can to form a level(ish) surface. Give it a sprinkle of salt & pepper.
5. Bake for 25 min. using convection, 30 – 35 min. in conventional oven, or until sweet potatoes are fork-tender.
*Adding some brown sugar to the top for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking would be a great way to get some glazed yumminess. Will try next time!