These were my Valentine’s Day treat for my husband, who loves chocolate chip cookies, and absolutely devours anything that is red velvet.
These cookies are cakey and oh so yummy. I always use milk chocolate morsels in my cookies, because who really wants to mess around with that semi-sweet business!? The more milky-rich chocolate flavor, the better!
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/4 Cup Splenda Baking Mix (or 1/2 Cup Sugar)
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Red Food Coloring
- 1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/3 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 2/3 Cup Chocolate Chips (I use milk chocolate morsels – feel free to use what you like!)
1. Preheat oven to 375º.
2. Cream the butter and sugars together, then add the egg and vanilla, mixing well.
3. Mix in the red food coloring, and then slowly add the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder).
4. When all ingredients are thoroughly combined, fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Drop rounded tablespoons of batter onto greased or nonstick baking sheets (makes about 24 mini cookies, or 12 regular sized cookies).
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes. (I take my minis out at exactly 11 minutes and they’re perfect!)