I had some extra pesto left over from making my Pesto & Parmesan Stuffed Chicken Breasts the other night, so I decided to make this pizza! This was very tasty, but the crust is the real star. The garlic herb dough could also be great to make rolls or breadsticks in addition to an awesome pizza crust!
Garlic Herb Crust Ingredients:
This recipe makes 2 small-to-medium sized pizza crusts, or one LARGE pizza crust! I tried to cram this on my one pizza stone, but I’ll cut it into two smaller, thinner crusts next time (we like our crust thin and crispy).
- 1 Cup + 2 Tbsp Water – warmed for 1 minute in the microwave
- 3 Cups Bread Flour
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Sugar (or 1 Tbsp Splenda Baking Blend)
- 2 Cloves Garlic – Minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 2 tsp Bread Machine Yeast
1 1/2 – 2 Cups Shredded Cooked Chicken (One large, boneless, skinless chicken breast was perfect)
1/2 – 3/4 Cup Pesto (I used store bought, but I’m sure homemade pesto would be fabulous!)
1/2 Cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
For the Crust:
1. Place the ingredients above into your bread machine, according to the manufacturers instructions, then set it to the “dough” cycle and let it to it’s thing! Mine takes an hour and a half.
2. When the cycle is complete, coat in the inside of a large mixing bowl with olive oil and dump the dough into the bowl. Toss the dough around so it is coated in oil, then cover it an let it rise in a warm place for about 30 min.
For the Pizza:
1. Preheat oven to 425º.
2. Knead your dough lightly, then roll it out into either one large, or two medium-sized circles (or whatever shape you fancy), about 1/2 inch thick on your cooking surface (pizza stone, cookie sheet, whatever).
3. Bake the dough for 5 minutes without any toppings on it.
4. After the 5 minutes of pre-baking the dough, spread your pesto, chicken, then feta on top.
5. Bake for another 18 minutes (more or less – this amount of time was perfect in my oven), and let cool for 5 -10 minutes before slicing and digging into the goodness!