This is one of my absolute favorite recipes! Every time I make it, it’s a total crowd pleaser.
It is VEGETARIAN by nature,
can easily be made VEGAN by omitting or subbing out the cheese,
and can also be GLUTEN FREE by simply using corn tortillas!
It is so hearty that you don’t need any meat at all, but you can totally add it if you want!
- 1 Pasilla Pepper – Diced (Sometimes labeled as “Pablano” in stores, this is a dark green, shiny pepper that is about 5 inches long.)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper – Diced
- 1 Small Head of Cauliflower – Chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 Medium Sweet Potato or Yam – Chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 Can Corn Kernels – Drained
- 3 Garlic Cloves – Minced
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 2 tsp Cumin
- Salt + Pepper
- 1 Bunch Fresh Cilantro – Chopped
- 2 1/2 Cups Salsa or Pico de Gallo (Use your favorite. I do a blend of Medium Salsa and Mango Pineapple Salsa for that sweet/spicy flavor!)
- 2 – 3 Oz. Baby Spinach Leaves
- 4 – 5 Medium Tortillas (use corn if you’re GF)
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheese (I get the Mexican blend, but you can omit the cheese or sub in vegan cheese, too.)
- Sour Cream + Chopped Green Onions (optional toppings)
1. Preheat oven to 425º.
2. Spread your veggies out on a large baking sheet (either use nonstick or line with nonstick foil), drizzle the oil over the top, then sprinkle them with the cumin, salt and pepper. Pop them in the oven for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so. The veggies will brown, blend their flavors together, and cause your house to smell SO GOOD. When these are done, reduce oven temperature to 350º.
*Note: The longer you cook the veggies, the milder the pasilla pepper will taste. If you want lots of spice, cut the time down to 30 min.
3. Prepare a deep, lidded casserole dish (if you don’t have one, you can totally just cover with foil) with nonstick spray. In a small bowl, mix together your cilantro and salsa.
4. Start building your casserole! The layers go: Salsa, Tortillas (torn into 2-inch chunks), veggies, spinach leaves, cheese, repeat! You’ll do two sets of layers. Make sure each layer thoroughly covers the layer below it.
5. Place the lid on your dish and pop that baby in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for another 10 minutes, until you have cheesy, melty goodness on the top of your casserole.
6. Let this dish of yummyness sit and cool for about 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving. Top with green onions and sour cream, then dig in!