I actually made this recipe specifically for freezing, and it turned out fantastic! I served it on Patty’s Famous Sandwich Buns, which I had also made the dough for, but frozen before baking. Freezing directions to the pulled pork are at the end of this post. I’ll head on over and add the freezing directions to the buns, too!
- 4 lb. Pork Butt or Shoulder (Don’t buy a roast – that meat is the loin and might not fall apart like you want it to.) – Trim some of the easy-to-reach fat off.
- 2 Medium Sweet Yellow Onions – 1 sliced, 1 chopped
- 12 oz. Dark Soda (I used Diet Dr. Pepper – many recipes will tell you to use regular soda and not diet, but I just did it – and it was great.)
- 24 oz. Your favorite BBQ Sauce (I used a Costco-sized bottle of Sweet Baby Ray’s.)
1. Layer half of your sliced onions on the bottom of the crock pot. Place the pork on top.
2. Place the second half of the sliced onions on top of the pork, then pour your soda over it all. Cover and let it cook on LOW 4 – 5 hours.
3. After that time, pull the pork out of the Crock Pot and shred it (or roughly chop it, like I start to do when I get lazy), discarding the fat that you couldn’t cut off at the beginning. Toss everything that is left in the Crock Pot.
4. When you’re done shredding, add the pork back to the Crock Pot with the chopped onions and BBQ sauce. Mix it all together really well. Set the slow cooker on HIGH this time and let it cook for another couple hours, stirring a couple times.
5. Serve on some awesome rolls and maybe top with some coleslaw if you have it!
If you’d like to freeze it like I did, portion it out into Ziploc baggies (after it has cooled), and toss in the freezer! I took my baggie out the morning before we were having this for dinner, and let it thaw a bit in the fridge. At dinner time, I dumped it all in a micro-safe bowl, stirred it up a little, then put it in for a few minutes on defrost, then another minute or so actually reheating. It was perfect!