This is one of those times when you can do a total pantry (and fridge) raid and still come up with a winner. That’s what I did, and it was a success!
This recipe is totally customizable to what you and your family have on hand, and would also make a great freezer meal. If you’d like to prep it for later, do all steps besides the final bake, then wrap it tight and pop it in the freezer. Thaw and bake when you’re having a lazy day!
- 1 Pack Italian Turkey Sausages w/ Onions & Peppers [Mine are from Costco. Use whatever sausages you want!]
- 1 1/2 Cup Dried Elbow Macaroni
- 16 oz. Organic Frozen Broccoli Florets – thawed and drained
- 1/2 Cup Sun Dried Tomatoes – julienne & packed in oil
- 2 Cups Shredded Three Cheese Blend
- 1/3 Cup Organic Green Onions – sliced (green part only)
- 1 3/4 Cup Organic Half & Half
- 2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tbsp. All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. Dried Basil
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions. Be sure to salt your water before bringing it to a boil.
3. Meanwhile, slice and quarter your sausage links. Put the sausage, broccoli, and sun dried tomatoes in a large bowl and set aside.
4. Melt your butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the green onions and cook for a few minutes until tender.
5. Your pasta should be finished cooking now. Drain it and add it to the large bowl containing your other major ingredients.
6. Whisk the flour, basil, salt, and pepper into your cream mixture. Add the half & half. Stir and cook until it begins to bubble. Next, add 1 1/2 cups of your shredded cheese blend, a little handful at a time, stirring with each addition to ensure it melts nicely.
7. When your cheese sauce is thick and evenly melted, remove it from the heat and pour it over your large bowl of ingredients. Toss the ingredients to evenly coat everything with the cheese sauce.
8. Pour everything into a prepped [w/ nonstick spray] 9 x 13 baking dish and top with the last 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
9. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly on top.